Cold, damp, warm, dry, and grueling.

The 2010 San Jacinto Enduro is in the books. Bleary eyed mountain bikers gathered in a public campsite to review the course and talk about safety at 5:45am. We started out at 6am with lights on in the cold, damp after a couple weeks of steady rain on Mt San Jacinto.

We climbed Thomas Mountain and were rewarded with a fantastic sunrise above the clouds. Did anyone get a picture of that?

A friendly motorcyclist greeted us on Rouse Ridge with doughnuts. No kidding! Later, riders made their way past a surprise aid station just before hitting May Valley singletrack. Kelly & Mary staffed the suprise aid station, complete with marshmallow cheerios treats, apples, bananas, and oranges. Trail magic at its best.

Dave had the eye of the tiger.

Eric Nelson, a 2010 Tour Divide alum was greeted by the family.

The Mann Show


While we had fewer riders this year (many no shows likely because of questionable weather) the riders who did come were hammers.
The course ran very fast this year with damp, hardpacked roads. The first man and first woman(n) riders posted times 35-39 minutes faster than their respective records from last year. The singlespeed record was shattered by more than an hour and a half.
The first loop was highlighted by cool temps, dramatic weather in the surrounding mountains, and some surprise traffic on the roads.
In contrast, the second loop was sunny, warm, and drier. Riders reported rough conditions on this year’s additional singletrack, the Morris Creek trail.

Also on the second loop, riders found yet another surprise:

Abbey explains the finer details of home-baked trail magic.

The first rider arrived back at camp before 1pm.

Guy “20 proof” Sutton posted the fastest course time.

Dan “shakedown” Wilcox of Homebrewed Components crushed the singlespeed time. Amazingly, he did this on his brand new bike. The SJ Enduro was one heck of a shakedown ride!

Allison “wo-mann” Man beat her own record.

Nick “when’s the start” Zielinski started a good ten minutes late but managed to catch a lot of the group by the end of the first loop. He made up more time on the second loop after waiting, fruitlessly, for a good-for-nothing rider who’d decided to wrap it up after the first loop.

The two newest bikes on the course. The one on the left was a day old, the one on the right was two weeks old.

After the ride, a number of peeps stuck around the campsite to trade stories and make plans for the “next big ride.”

Freddie explains how he narrowly fought off a mountain lion attack on the trail.

Dave takes in the scene after a long day on the bike.